All data remains in school. 4Matrix is installed locally, and we do not have access to the schools data unless we are providing remote support (for training or technical support etc).
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2016, 2012, 2008, 2003, 2000; Windows 10; Windows 8; Windows 8.1 (8.1 RT is NOT supported); Windows 7*; Windows Vista*
- Microsoft.net framework 3.5 (for SQL install) and 4.0 (for 4Matrix application)
- (Please Note: For windows 8, the Microsoft SQL 2008 Installer requires .net 2 & 3.5 to also be installed, even if a higher version is already installed)
- Microsoft Windows Installer 4.5 or Later
- As part of the install, users can choose to use an existing version of SQL Server or install a new instance of 2008 R2, 2012 R2 Express, 2014 Express and 2016 Express. We recommend using 2016 Express or higher (SQL 2017 Express is also supported).
- Microsoft Azure is supported but please contact for further information prior to installing 4Matrix
*Windows 7 and Vista: SQL 2014 and earlier. For the complete SQL Server system requirements, please refer to the Microsoft website.
- Processor: 1 GHz Pentium processor or equivalent (Minimum); 2GHz Pentium processor or equivalent (Recommended)
- RAM: 1 GB (Minimum); 4 GB (Recommended)
- Hard Disk: Up to 2 GB of available space may be required
- CD or DVD Drive: Not required
- Display: 800 x 600, 256 colors (Minimum); 1024 x 768 high color, 32-bit, (Recommended)
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2016, 2012, 2008, 2003, 2000; Windows 10; Windows 8; Windows 8.1 (8.1 RT is NOT supported); Windows 7; Windows Vista; Windows XP
- Microsoft.net framework 4.0 (minimum)
- Windows Installer 3.1 or later
- Pentium 1 GHz or higher with 512 MB RAM or more (minimum)
- 4Matrix is a lightweight SQL database-driven, client/server application.
- The database and 4Matrix Network Manager application which installs the 4Matrix database can be installed in around 10-15 minutes.
- The Network Manager must be installed locally on the server you wish to host the 4Matrix Database (unless you're carrying out a standalone installation).
- The Network Manager tool produces an MSI to install the 4Matrix client software. You can use Group Policy to roll this out to clients.
- 4Matrix can also be run from a shared location. Refer to Running From a Shared Folder for more information.
- It is recommended that Data Managers use 4Matrix on a large display of at least 22" set to the maximum resolution. Two monitors may be required if other data management software is to be used simultaneously.
SQL Installation Notes
- During the installation process you will have the option to download and install SQL 2008 R2, 2012 R2 Express, 2014 Express or 2016 Express
- If already installed, during the installation process you will have the option to 'Use Existing Server'
- SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 (Full) are no longer supported.
The SIMS and Bromcom Extract tools
The data extraction tools that ship with 4Matrix act as a ‘middle-man’ between 4Matrix and the MIS. They are designed to progressively extract and import a range of data, including:
- Basic Pupil details (name, DOB, gender, ethnicity, postcode, Pupil Premium, SEN, G&T, Form Group and more)
There is not a live link between 4Matrix and the MIS. The extract is a manually initiated task (by a Data or Exams Manager) which then provides the school with a ‘snap-shot’ of data at any given time. There is no write-back to the MIS. Note that schools with a hosted SIMS solution will not be able to use the inbuilt extract tool - reports are provided at www.4matrix.com/simsreports to use instead.
Last revised: 19/02/2019