Importing Key Stage 2 Data for use with Key Stage 4 Progress Measures
We strongly recommend importing KS2 using information from Get Information About Pupils (GIAP) where possible. You can download your KS2 Prior Attainment data from the GIAP site and import it into 4Matrix.
The following notes outline how to import or re-import KS2 scaled score data. Be aware that if updating KS2 data, importing blank values for a pupil will not overwrite existing data. If you wish to clear data use Edit Markbook > Clear Column' to dremove data from the selected column. We recommend creating a backup of existing data first, using the Edit Markbook > File > Export option before clearing any data from this tool.
Instructions for GIAP
- Log into DfE Secure Access, and select GIAP site at https://get-information-pupils.service.gov.uk/
- Select 'Search National Pupil Database'
- Paste the UPNs for the Year group e.g. Year 11
- Select 'Search'
- Select 'Download NPD data'
- Select on 'Key Stage 2' and 'CSV'
- Click on 'Download'
- Once you have the .csv file, open it and copy the entire spreadsheet. Do not edit the spreadsheet in any way
- In 4Matrix, go to Admin > Spreadsheet > GIAP and follow the steps in the wizard
- In Step 1 either select an existing series or create a new one. KS2 data is not held against a series, so if you create a new one and then subsquently delete it (via Edit Series) the KS2 data will be retained.
- As part of the wizard, 4Matrix will automatically remove unwanted columns. You should not need to edit or change any of the settings as you work through the import, as all relevant columns will be auto-mapped, and any remaining un-mapped columns will be dropped as you complete steps 4 and 5 of the import.
- The import process includes support for Special Consideration when importing KS2 data from GIAP. 4Matrix will automatically deduct 3 from the relevant Scaled Score when the Scaled score is 83 to 119. Pupils with Scaled Scores of 80, 81, 82 and 120 will flag as requiring attention in Validate Data if further information is needed - please see this article for more details https://help.4matrix.com/knowledgebase.php?article=259. Affected users can contact us for further advice if required.
- Once the GIAP Import has been completed the next step is to allocate the Prior Attainment Bands via Admin > Edit Markbook. Click on 'Calculate' 'Set Prior Attainment Bands'. The DFE methodology will be used.
For the academic year 2022-23, it is only possible to download KS2 data for current Years 7, 10 and 11 from GIAP. There will be no data for current years 8 and 9 due to COVID.
Article updated: 03/02/2023